Tuesday 6 August 2013

Society, Media and Barbie

This post is a little more serious than my others. I just think it's important for me to share my views on this subject. 
I'm sure all of you have heard of Barbie and many of you will have played with one as a child. Some of you may also be aware that if Barbie was a real human being, she would not be able to survive due to the proportions of her body. Recently, people have been having negative comments towards Barbie suggesting that she causes eating disorders as young girls want to achieve her figure. An artist has even created a an "Average Barbie" which uses the proportions of an average 19 year old. I'd also like to point out that Demi Lovato actually had nothing to do with this doll
I think this really does put things into perspective. However, as a child I had tons of Barbie's and I never once strived for her figure. At such a young age I was not aware of "society" and body image and that kind of thing. I just enjoyed playing with the dolls and dressing them up. Some people want Barbie to stop being made but I don't agree with this. The majority of my childhood was spent playing with Barbie's with my sister and we loved it. We loved picking their hair and outfits and shoes, we honestly never even noticed how skinny Barbie was or how tall and slim her legs were, it was just a form of entertainment. As I've grown older I've learnt about society and how messed up it is. Now I'm older I do get concerned sometimes with my weight and appearance but that is purely because of media. You see all the singers, actresses and whatever on TV and in magazines and you become obsessed with trying to get their body. I think it's wrong how in the media they give teenagers tips on how to get "The Perfect Bikini Body". Everyone should be able to wear a bikini regardless of their body size or image. Bikinis are not made for skinny girls however now bigger girls would be judged a probably picked on if the wore a bikini. I think it's great if they do, it shows their confidence and shows how they have not let the media get to them. I don't blame Barbie for anything like this, I think it is purely the media at fault. Lets be honest, if you were asked who you wanted to look like, very few people would say Barbie. Most people would say someone from the film or music industry because that is who we see in our daily lives. Over all I think Barbie was great for me as a child. I loved her clothes a dressing her up which influenced my love for fashion. I don't even know what my life would be like without fashion. It was not only Barbie who got me into fashion. Another brand of dolls called Bratz did too. Their slogan was "The Girls With A Passion For Fashion" so I guess that's why I'm so into fashion now- because of my childhood. I loved my childhood and I wouldn't swap it for anything. I loved the stuff I watched on TV and the toys I played with. My childhood has influenced who I am today which means I love fashion and I love that about me. Honestly, if anything, Barbie has inspired me. She has made me who I am (I know that sounds super cheesy but oh well). I am so into fashion because if Barbie and Bratz and now my dream is to become a Fashion Designer or Stylist. If Barbie was taken off the shelves, who knows.. We could be ending a dream that never even started? We could have stopped someone showing their potential and becoming the next world famous designer? It's not Barbie that needs to change, it's us as society. It's society and the media that cause problems for girls so that's what needs changing.
I know not everyone will agree with my point of view but I respect that and I hope anyone who disagrees with me respects my views.
I apologise for the fact that this is a rather depressing post but I just feel like its something that needs to be addressed. Thank you if you've read all the way down here! :*

No comments:

Post a Comment