Saturday 10 August 2013

D.I.Y: Wax Crayon Melt

A while ago I found out how to make wax crayon melts. I'd seen a lot of photos of them on Facebook and the Internet and I could never work out how to do them. One day I was watching a load of DIY videos on YouTube and a tutorial for Wax Crayon Melts popped up in the suggested  box. I watched it and realised that they are so easy! If you don't know what a crayon melt is, it is where you glue wax crayons to a canvas and melt them so the wax runs down the canvas to create a unique pice of art.

Because I did this so long ago I don't have step by step photos. It's pretty easy to explain though. First I laid out the crayons in a sort of ombré order -so each colour crayon was slightly different. I then measured in a few centimetres on each side of the canvas so the crayons were central. Next I used a hot glue gun to glue the crayons to the canvas. If you don't have a hot glue gun then other types of strong adhesive would work like superglue. Once the glue was dry, all I had to do was gently heat it with a hair dryer until it started melting and ran all the way down the canvas. I would advise doing this outside or with paper underneath because it can get quite messy. I did it in my kitchen which has a tiled floor so it was really easy to clean up. There's loads of ways to make a crayon melt a bit more interesting..
Admittedly, mine isn't that good compared to the ones on the Internet but I was quite please for my first go. Also, I purchased my crayons in a box of around 50 from the pound shop so you can get them really cheap. I think these would make great gifts as well.
Hope you liked this little DIY! 






1 comment:

  1. Wow I love the heart one, what a fab piece of art. I think I will give this a try one day for above my study desk :) xx

    ReplyDelete