Sunday 27 October 2013

Tie Dye

It's took me a while to get this post written because of havin to upload photos which takes me forever to connect my camera to my laptop (which takes forever to load and always crashes) and then email them to my iPad. Anyway, here it is. 
In August, Kendal and I decided to do some tie dying (it ended up as ombréing) as I'd never done it before. I was quite surprised at how easy the process was. Here's what we used
We used Dylon dye which is the most widely available dye here in the UK and it's found in the majority of craft stores and DIY stores. It's fairly inexpensive, costing approximately £3-£3.50 per pack. The colours that I used were Poweder Pink and Bahama Blue beacaue I wanted a nice transitional purple colour in between. The shirts we used were basic white ones from Primark and were only £2.50 each. Finally you will need salt. You can buy dye salt for around 50p for a bag but regular table salt does the same job (I already had salt in so I used table salt).
Next all you have to do it mix up your dyes according to the instructions on the packet. I can't remember exactly what I had to do but I know it was very simple. All you had to do was dissolve the dye in some water then add this to more water. After that just put your shirt in up the the desired length. For ombré then a little over half way is best. Leave the t-shirt in the dye for around 45 minutes (more if you want a stronger colour). Stir the dye regularly and move the shirt around so that you don't get any harsh lines. Repeat this process with any other colours you want. Finally rinse the shirt in a sink and put it in the wash. Throughout the time of handling dye, make sure you wear gloves as it can irritate skin.
The final product:
Although it didn't turn out exactly how I wanted, I'm still please for my first go and I might try it again sometime.
Hope you enjoyed it, try it out, it's so fun and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment